Ardise Mitchell may have lost part of his house, but he saved the one thing that mattered -- his family. They were all inside their home on Detroit's east side Monday afternoon when Mitchell said he suddenly heard his pregnant stepdaughter screaming.
"She was like, 'Help, help, help!' I'm thinking that my stepdaughter's water broke," Mitchell told FOX 2's Alexis Wiley.
Mitchell said he rushed upstairs and realized the house was on fire.
"I grabbed her first because she was the closest one I could see and basically feel. Grabbed her, pulled her back, fell down the stairs, she fell on me and I hoping I'm breaking her fall. Got her out of the house, went back up in there and got the grandson," Mitchell explained.
His 21-year-old stepdaughter and her four-year-old son were both burned in the fire and rushed to the hospital. Both were asleep when the fire started. The home did not have working smoke detectors, so by the time they smelled the smoke and felt the heat, it was too late.
"People have them, but sometimes they take the batteries out or the batteries die and they don't replace the batteries. So, it does make a difference. It would've picked this fire up. This one was full blaze," said Detroit Fire Battalion Chief Michael Burns.
Both mother and son are expected to make a full recovery. Meanwhile, the fire is still under investigation, but sources say it does not appear suspicious.