Witnesses: Officer Shot Man Without Warning, From Inside Car - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Witnesses: Officer Shot Man Without Warning, From Inside Car

Posted: Updated:
  • Witnesses: Officer Shot Man Without Warning, From Inside CarMore>>

  • Police Shoot Gunman Outside Baby Shower

    Police Shoot Gunman Outside Baby Shower

    Thursday, July 26 2012 8:05 AM EDT2012-07-26 12:05:38 GMT
    An argument outside a baby shower in Philadelphia's Olney section leads to a shoot-out.Philadelphia police say around 1 o'clock Sunday morning, two officers driving near 2nd and Nedro Street saw a man
    Philadelphia police shoot a gunman outside a baby shower in the city's Olney section.

Tensions are high between Philadelphia police and Cambodian residents in Olney following a police-involved shooting.

Exclusive video obtained by FOX 29 News was taken seconds after 24-year-old Vanna Sok was fatally shot by police.

It was 1 a.m. on July 15 when a nearby camera shows a red SUV pulling up to the corner of Second Street and Nedro Avenue.  A short confrontation turns to gunfire. People scatter.

Sok, who had a registered gun, fired back at the SUV.

What happens next just off camera isn't shown, but witnesses say an officer nearby fired his weapon at Sok from inside the passenger seat of his police car and shot without any warning.

"I seen the cop shoot him from inside the car," said Thearack Kith, one of Sok's friends. " He didn't get outside. He didn't say, 'Freeze, put your hands up, drop your weapons.' He didn't say anything."

Chaotic cell phone video from the ground was taken at the scene, seconds after Sok was shot. It shows police officers pulling Sok's body away into a transport van.

"I looked up at him, and that's when he got hit. And he fell. He had his back to the cop," said Chan Sok, the victim's cousin.

Police said soon after the shooting that the officers got out of their cruiser, Sok turned around and pointed his gun at police, and that's when he was shot in the head.

Authorities added that the situation that night quickly grew into an all-out melee. Officers called for back-up several times, and a stun gun had to be used on one person in the crowd.

Since then, the shooting has continued to touched off more tension.

Friends and family say they've been harassed by police officers at Sok's memorial.

Police, on the other hand, say they've had credible threats about cops getting killed.

On Wednesday night, high-ranking members of the police department met with community leaders. Both sides said the meeting was a good first step toward easing tensions in the community.

The shooting investigation is now in the hands of the police department's internal affairs bureau and the district attorney's office.

Police couldn't talk about the shooting investigation Wednesday, but they promised to investigate the harassment claims.

"I personally take that serious, as well as the entire police department," Deputy Police Commissioner Thomas Wright said. "So, we're not going to tolerate any improper behavior by police officers. And so, we're here to hear their concerns and, if there's anything we need to do that needs to be corrected, we'll ensure that it happens."

FOX 29's Chris O'Connell had the exclusive video in his report Wednesday night, and FOX 29's Steve Keeley was continuing to work the story Thursday morning at Second and Nedro.

WATCH LIVE ONLINE: "Good Day," 4:25 a.m.-10 a.m.

Powered by WorldNow

330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices