Fumes Prompt Evacuation Of Moorestown Restaurant - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Fumes Prompt Evacuation Of Moorestown Restaurant

Posted: Updated:
MOORESTOWN, NJ -

Fumes caused several employees of a Panera Bread restaurant in Moorestown, New Jersey to get sick, prompting a large response from police, firefighters and a Burlington County hazmat crew.

Emergency responders were called to the East Gate Square shopping center on Nixon Drive around 11 a.m. Friday.

Firefighters say two cleaning agents were accidentally poured into the restaurant's grease trap, causing fumes to build up inside.

The restaurant was evacuated and 7 employees were taken to Kennedy Health System in Cherry Hill. Investigators say four additional employees took themselves to the hospital.

The employees were being evaluated for respiratory issues.

Two nearby businesses were also evacuated, but customers and employees have since been allowed to return.

No customers inside of the Panera reported being sick.

Burlington County food inspectors have discarded the food inside of the restaurant due to chlorine contamination. Inspectors with Panera are expected to conduct a thorough cleaning of the store.

Firefighters say the situation could have been a lot worse.

Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices