This year's fall fashion is full of so many flattering trends that there is actually something for everyone, not just for those blessed to walk the runway. However, it's not always easy to navigate which of the season's hottest trends flatter one's shape and which ones just fall flat.
1. Petite - Colored Denim:
· Colored denim is a must for fall, especially for petites as their smaller stature can handle the attention.
· Skinny fit will draw attention to curves.
· Don't be afraid to be bold all over by color-blocking. Strategically place contrasting, yet complimentary, bold and bright colors on one's top and bottom. This will create an illusion of length as the eye keeps up and down.
· Versatile - can be paired with flats, heels or boots.
2. Pear Shaped- Billowy Blouses/Exaggerated Sleeves:
· Pear shapes are typically larger in the bottom than the top so the goal is to bring attention up and away from the bottom.
· Billowy blouses are huge this fall and often feature eye-catching details such as tie-front necks or exaggerated sleeves; these features hold attention where pears want it most.
· Statement necklaces and earrings can also draw attention up.
· Keep the bottom half of the ensemble simple: pencil skirt or classically tailored pants; wide leg pants (another fall trend!) can be very slimming.
3. Curvy - Patterned Dresses:
· Select prints/patterns carefully. It's the space between prints that makes them unflattering so opt for overlapping designs throughout the entire dress to keep the eye moving. This will visually slim a curvy shape.
· If uncomfortable with all-over patterns, opt for a dress that uses geometric or more uniform shapes in areas that will bring attention to the face. And layer on a faux leather jacket for added structure.
· Be cautious of fabric; bulky will add unwanted bulge. Think lightweight and airy.
· Don't go oversized; opt for some structure to help define a shape. Layering on a faux leather jacket is fashionable and flattering.
· Pair with boots or heels to help create visual proportion.
4. Long and Lean - Printed/Bold Midi Skirts:
· Midi skirts are a must for those with long legs because slender legs can pull off such a pronounced look.
· Depending on your comfort level, opt for a skirt with an eye-catching print or bold color (or both).
· Keep the top simple and forgo any statement jewelry-your skirt is the statement.
· As its early fall, go without tights and pair with heels or boots for added style.
To find one of the many dressbarn locations nearest you, log on to dressbarn.com