Woman: Forced to live alongside squatter in my Detroit house - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Forced to live alongside squatter in my Detroit house, woman says

Posted: Updated:

By Taryn Asher
FOX 2 News Reporter

DETROIT -- Heidi Peterson always dreamed of living in a historical home.  In May of 2010, she bought one in Detroit's Boston-Edison District for $23,000.

After being away for a year, she said she returned to her house last week and found a woman living there.  Peterson learned from neighbors she had been living there for a few months.

Peterson claims the squatter changed the locks, reworked the plumbing, replaced her appliances, put a lien on the house and even changed the curtains, and now this squatter won't leave.  So now they are forced to sleep one room away from each other, Peterson with her one-year-old daughter.

The alleged squatter's name is documented all over the house as Missionary-Tracey Elaine Blair, a write-in candidate for president.

We asked Peterson whether she feels safe.

"I don't know what the capabilities are.  We're afraid of her mindset of entitlement."

A squatter doesn't have a legal right to the property, but under the law the homeowner cannot remove a squatter by force.  In most cases, the homeowner has to file a civil action in court, prove it's their property and evict the squatter.  That is what Peterson is trying to do.

"She thinks that this is a program in Detroit to take people's homes and fix them up and then she gets to keep them," Peterson said.

Since Peterson spent all of her money on the house, she said she can't afford to go anywhere else, and until she can legally kick the woman out, they are forced to live under the same roof.

"I thought if the house is not safe, how can I come here with my child?  There's an issue with that.  But should I lose my house to a squatter because I don't have rights to my property or should I fight to get it back," said Peterson.

As our story was going to air, we had a chance to talk to the alleged squatter.  She denied that she was squatting and said she has a lease.

"I have a construction lien for the repairs that I put into the house.  Someone had (broken) into the house on July the Fourth and they stripped the radiators and I made a report," she added.

"In February 2011, we had to vacate because the boiler was damaged," she continued.  "I took all my books and my writings, but my (furniture was) still left in (there)."

We also asked her whether she thinks there is a program where anybody can go into Detroit, take over an abandoned house and live there.

"I'm an advocate for affordable housing.  That's a part of my campaign," she said.  "I've believed that since the first time I met her when I was running for state Senate (in) 2010 and she was also running for a political office, that was a part of my belief.  I signed an oath pledging that I would fight for affordable homes."

We're told Peterson leased the house to tenants in 2010, including this alleged squatter, but had to evict everyone when it was found not fit to live in.

We're also told the alleged squatter filed papers with the city claiming the property was abandoned.

• Taryn AsherTaryn AsherMore>>

Man accused of calling taxi to move a body

Monday, July 28 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:20:50 GMT
    A mother is struggling with the fact that her 21-year-old daughter lost her battle with drug addiction, and then she learns the despicable lengths two people went to get rid of her child's body.

Renisha McBride's family leaves courtroom as photos are shown

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:29:16 GMT
    On day two of the trial for Renisha McBride's shooting death, the final hours of her life and the moments after her death were detailed in court. Thursday the jury heard what Ted Wafer, her accused killer, told police about the shooting that night.

1 dead when car crashes into house after driver, passenger shot

Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:30 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:30:13 GMT
    One person is dead and another is injured after a shooting on Detroit's west side. The two victims were riding in the same vehicle, which lost control and crashed into the side of a house after the shooting.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Grosse Pointe Park's new farmer's market seen by some as a barrier to Detroit

Monday, July 28 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:25:26 GMT
    Some Detroiters are calling for a boycott of Grosse Pointe Park after the city built a farmer's market that they believe cuts off access to and from Detroit.

Detroit teen recovering after basketball accident at park

Monday, July 28 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:51:50 GMT
    A Detroit teen is seriously hurt after an accident at a Detroit park. He has a long road to recovery ahead, but has a strong support system that isn't giving up hope.

Man shot, killed during carjacking on Detroit's west side

Monday, July 28 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:37:16 GMT
    A man was shot to death in an attempted carjacking on Detroit's west side, according to police.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices