Michigan AG's office to prosecute roadway shooting suspect - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Michigan AG's office to prosecute roadway shooting suspect

Posted: Updated:

DETROIT (AP) -- The state attorney general's office will prosecute a man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists in four Michigan counties last month and could bring additional charges, Attorney General Bill Schuette said Tuesday.

The AG's office said it had agreed to take over the cases at the request of prosecutors in Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties.

Raulie Casteel, of Wixom, currently faces charges in Livingston and Oakland counties.

Schuette's office will lead the prosecution of the 43-year-old unemployed geologist in the Livingston case. The Oakland County prosecutor's office will continue to handle the 60 counts Casteel faces in connection with shootings in Wixom and Commerce Township. Casteel could be sentenced to up to life in prison if convicted of any of the eight attempted murder counts he faces in Oakland County, where many of the two-dozen shootings occurred.

Casteel first was charged in Livingston County, where he faces assault with a dangerous weapon and five other gun-related counts. Those charges stem from an Oct. 18 shooting on Interstate 96 in Howell Township, about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.

The attorney general's office said its criminal division will review evidence collected by a multi-jurisdictional task force and decide whether to bring charges related to shootings in Ingham and Shiawassee counties.

"I believe it is beneficial for the prosecution of this case and for the convenience of the witnesses to have a single source of prosecution," Livingston County Prosecutor David Morse said in a statement released by the attorney general's office. "It will provide a consistent approach to the case that is not possible with multiple jurisdictions handling multiple cases."

The shootings, which took place along a 100-mile freeway corridor between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27, kept area communities on edge.

Most of the shootings targeted cars near I-96, though authorities said one occurred while a man was taking out his trash. Only one person was hit, a man who was shot in the buttocks.

Ten shootings were in Wixom, where Casteel lived with his wife, daughter and in-laws.

Defense attorneys say he's a married, college-educated, stay-at-home dad with no criminal history.

On professional websites, Casteel described himself as a geologist and soil scientist with experience in environmental cleanup. He's a Michigan native who lived in Taylorsville, Ky., before returning to his home state earlier this year.

Judges in Novi and Howell on Nov. 14 ordered Casteel to undergo tests to determine whether he is competent to stand trial.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:39:04 GMT
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
  • DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:06:31 GMT
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.
  • City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:31:49 GMT
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices