Conn. Christmas fire survivor wonders why she lived - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Conn. Christmas fire survivor wonders why she lived

Posted: Updated:

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) - Since the Christmas Day fire at her Connecticut home last year that took the lives of her three daughters and her parents, Madonna Badger wonders why she survived.

Badger, a New York advertising executive until the 2011 fire in Stamford, made it through the funerals for her children and parents. Then she fell apart, she tells the Hearst Connecticut Media Group (http://bit.ly/UsPBvi ).

Her hair turned gray and fell out in clumps. She waved a fistful of pills in the air and threatened to swallow them.

Badger traveled to Little Rock, Ark., in February to live with a friend from their college days. She says the only condition was that she promised to not commit suicide.

Investigators determined the fire was accidental. Badger said love is the legacy her children left.

 

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Obama congratulates UConn on NCAA dominance

    Obama congratulates UConn on NCAA dominance

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-04-16 01:47:07 GMT
    President Barack Obama has congratulated the University of Connecticut's men's and women's basketball teams on winning last week's NCAA tournaments. The White House says Obama commended men's head coach Kevin Ollie and his team on their decisive championship victory and noted how he enjoyed watching them throughout the tournament. He told women's head coach Geno Auriemma how impressive it was to see the team continue to dominate women's collegiate basketball.
    President Barack Obama has congratulated the University of Connecticut's men's and women's basketball teams on winning last week's NCAA tournaments. The White House says Obama commended men's head coach Kevin Ollie and his team on their decisive championship victory and noted how he enjoyed watching them throughout the tournament. He told women's head coach Geno Auriemma how impressive it was to see the team continue to dominate women's collegiate basketball.
  • Connecticut casinos post March slot revenue drop

    Connecticut casinos post March slot revenue drop

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:34 PM EDT2014-04-16 01:34:00 GMT
    Connecticut's Indian-run casinos say slot machine revenue fell sharply in March, with Foxwoods Resort Casino citing an "ultra-competitive" market. Foxwoods reported Tuesday that the share of wagers, known as revenue, was $44.6 million, down 10 percent from March 2013. Total slot machine wagering at the Mashantucket Pequot tribal casino was $566 million, down 5 percent.
    Connecticut's Indian-run casinos say slot machine revenue fell sharply in March, with Foxwoods Resort Casino citing an "ultra-competitive" market. Foxwoods reported Tuesday that the share of wagers, known as revenue, was $44.6 million, down 10 percent from March 2013. Total slot machine wagering at the Mashantucket Pequot tribal casino was $566 million, down 5 percent.
  • Cyanide poisoning in suicide shuts neighborhood

    Cyanide poisoning in suicide shuts neighborhood

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 11:37 AM EDT2014-04-15 15:37:07 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Fairfield fire officials say a man who committed suicide by drinking potassium cyanide prompted a hazardous materials alert that shut part of a neighborhood. Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola told the Connecticut Post that the unidentified man left a note warning first responders. He locked the house and went to bed before swallowing the poison. A portion of the neighborhood was shut Monday night, but neighbors were not in danger.
    Fairfield fire officials say a man who committed suicide by drinking potassium cyanide prompted a hazardous materials alert that shut part of a neighborhood. Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola told the Connecticut Post that the unidentified man left a note warning first responders. He locked the house and went to bed before swallowing the poison. A portion of the neighborhood was shut Monday night, but neighbors were not in danger.

Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices