As many as 20 people are out of their homes after a three alarm fire Friday morning in Uptown Minneapolis has nearly destroyed a condo building.
Minneapolis Fire officials say an unattended candle, in a first floor condo, was responsible for the blaze.
Fire broke out at 1508 West Lake Street just after 8 am Friday; when crews arrived, they found heavy fire burning through the 1st two floors of the building. Within just minutes, the chief on the scene ordered firefighters out of the building due to worries of walls or floors collapsing. Crews then tried to put out the fire from the outside. Shortly after 8:30am, a third alarm was called for concerns the fire may spread to nearby businesses such as the Dunn Brothers and Brugger's Bagels next door. FOX 9 crews and tipsters reported seeing smoke and fire from as far away as Edina. FOX 9's Paul Blume spoke with a chief at the scene who confirmed one injury to a civilian.
The roof and back wall of the building collapsed into the alley; and Blume reports crews are walking through the neighborhood to locate any more tenants that may need help. City officials say two blocks of Lake Street and two blocks of Irving Avenue remain closed.
The Red Cross is providing food, clothing and shelter to the residents who were displaced.