Cars from Super Storm Sandy Cause Controversy In South Jersey - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Cars from Super Storm Sandy Cause Controversy In South Jersey

Posted: Updated:
Thousands of cars sit in a lot in Mansfield Township. The cars are all considered to be casualties of Superstorm sandy. Thousands of cars sit in a lot in Mansfield Township. The cars are all considered to be casualties of Superstorm sandy.
MANSFIELD TWP., N.J. -

"It looks like a junk yard, a major junk yard," says the mayor of Mansfield Township about the cars, vans, and SUVs as far as the eye can see.

Three thousand of them are parked in a big lot  just off Route 295 in Mansfield Township. All casualties of Superstorm Sandy. There's only one problem, township officials say they're not supposed to be here.

"A lot of them were coming in at night, through town and that's when somebody started complaining," Mayor Arthur Puglia told FOX 29 on Tuesday

"It's unsightly to see all those cars there,"said Dr. Stuart Shalit, a physician in town. "I think it puts a sore eye on the community."

Neighbors and township officials started noticing the build up of cars, boats, even some real classics in the last two months. Some were upset, others thought it was okay.  

"I just feel like it's a nice way for our community to be a part of helping out," said township resident Tracy Visali.

"I didn't think there was anything wrong with it," said Susan Feenan.

Township officials say the cars were being stored here so insurance adjusters could inspect them and recyclers and auto parts firms could come get them. They finally said enough.

"It's not zoned for that," Puglia contends.

"They just did everything like we were country bumpkins. And nobody in town likes that," said Township Committeeman Fred Clark.

So on Monday night, the township zoning board denied a variance to allow the cars to remain here. Now the mayor wants the cars removed within 30 days.

"It's a total mess. It's a disaster out there," said Clark.

"Don't come down to our town and make it look like a junk yard," the mayor added.

The mayor says the company will be moving cars out starting Tuesday. Committeeman Clark says he personally inspected the huge lot and found some of the cars were repossessed, some were junk cars. He claimed they pose a potential environmental and fire hazard.

State DEP officials told FOX 29 they have inspected the site weekly for the past two months. There have been no environmental issues there. No leakage or spills from the cars. The company also has equipment on site to deal with any leaks should they occur.

We contacted the lawyer for the company. As of this afternoon he did not return our call seeking comment. There's no information on where the cars will be headed next.

  • Dave SchratwieserMore>>

  • Newborn of Pregnant Woman Killed In Frankford Dies

    Newborn of Pregnant Woman Killed In Frankford Dies

    Monday, September 15 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:23:15 GMT
    Police say the 25-year-old Megan Doto was full-term when someone shot her in the face with a .40-caliber, fully automatic weapon just before noon.
    Police say the 25-year-old Megan Doto was full-term when someone shot her in the face with a .40-caliber, fully automatic weapon just before noon.
  • An Inside Look At The Philadelphia Police Department's DIVRT Program

    An Inside Look At The Philadelphia Police Department's DIVRT Program

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-09-10 21:52:35 GMT
    Almost every day we show you surveillance videos that help get dangerous criminals off the street.FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser takes us inside Philadelphia's program that's putting those criminals behind bars.It's a plea heard all too often when police put out surveillance video of a crime like of a shooting last week that left a 49-year-old Wynnefield man paralyzed from the waist down.As victim's families plead for the public's help, detectives scramble to find video to identify the shooter. I...
    Almost every day we show you surveillance videos that help get dangerous criminals off the street.FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser takes us inside Philadelphia's program that's putting those criminals behind bars.It's a plea heard all too often when police put out surveillance video of a crime like of a shooting last week that left a 49-year-old Wynnefield man paralyzed from the waist down.As victim's families plead for the public's help, detectives scramble to find video to identify the shooter. I...
  • Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Suspect In Shooting That Left Victim Paralyzed

    Police Issue Arrest Warrant For Suspect In Shooting That Left Victim Paralyzed

    Sunday, September 7 2014 3:18 PM EDT2014-09-07 19:18:37 GMT
    Philadelphia police say they have issued an arrest warrant for Allan Stokes, 23, of the 5700 block of Harmer Street in Philadelphia.
    Philadelphia police say they have issued an arrest warrant for Allan Stokes, 23, of the 5700 block of Harmer Street in Philadelphia.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices