A Chandler woman was injured Tuesday when she tried to fight a fire in her burning home. That fire was apparently started by a 2-year-old playing with a lighter.
When crews arrived to the home located near Frye and Arizona Aves, there was heavy smoke coming from the inside. A young mother and her 2-year-old were outside waiting for help
"We did have two people occupying the structure at the time, we had a mother and her child, first reports are from the mother that the child was playing with a lighter and lit a couch on fire," said Chandler Fire Battalion Chief Tom Dwiggins.
"They said my grandson… something about a lighter I don't know," said James Cardena, homeowner.
Homeowner James Cardena wasn't there when the fire started, but told FOX 10 his daughter said his 2-year-old grandson was playing with a lighter on a leather couch he owns. The damage was pretty severe.
"I don't know, I want to go in and look at it, they said the first two rooms its real bad. According to one of the firefighters, he said more or less, it's going to have to be rebuilt the walls and the roof," said Cardena.
"What we can learn as parents is obviously don't give your kids the tools, matches or lighters, inside the house so that they can actually start playing with them, light something on fire," said Dwiggins.
Firefighters say what happened here should serve as a reminder to all parents.
In this case the 23-year old mother was treated for smoke inhalation, and the toddler is fine. But it could have been a lot worse.
Chandler Fire says after they got out, the mother grabbed a garden hose and went back in to try to put the fire out. They advise never to do that -- once you're out of a burning home and get everyone out, stay out.