Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Natural Gas Leak Cause Of Haddon Heights Explosion

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday. Firefighters in Haddon Heights, New Jersey out the last of the flames from a house explosion Saturday.
Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion. Video captured from a cell phone shows the tall flames that came from the home after the explosion.
HADDON HEIGHTS, N.J. -

The Camden County Fire Marshal has confirmed a natural gas leak is to blame for the explosion that demolished a Haddon Heights three-story home Saturday.

The explosion happened Saturday afternoon inside one of the apartments of the home on the 100 block of Whitehorse Pike.

Two people were injured with second degree burns.

According to the fire marshal, a leaking natural gas line to an appliance ignited when one of the tenants turned on her stove.

The 26-year-old woman was hospitalized at Crozer Chester Medical Center and is still in critical condition, the fire marshal said.

Neighbors say the explosion shook homes for blocks around.

On Sunday, dozens of neighbors stopped by the home to take pictures of what little was left of the Victorian home, which was converted into five apartment units.

The explosion left as many as six people homeless.

A cleanup crew spent an hour Sunday sweeping glass off the street. Firefighters say the explosion caused glass to fly as far as a block away.

Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices