Storm-ravaged Manhattan restaurant finally reopens - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Superstorm Sandy

Storm-ravaged Manhattan restaurant finally reopens

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

When Avenue C's Verso reopened Wednesday after being destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, no one was happier than the regulars.

On October 29, 2012, Sandy's flood waters flowed over the banks of the East River making Alphabet City look more like alphabet soup.

Outside the restaurant, cop cars from the precinct just across the street floated by.

Inside, it was was everything you'd expect to find in an Italian restaurant.

"All I could see was pots and pans in kitchen full of water," said owner Labinot Baraliu. "Bottles of wine floating on water.

Nine feet of water in all destroyed everything in verso except the windows, front door and air conditioning. The damage forced the owners to rebuild everything from scratch.

They say with no help from the government -- just family.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices