A lighter version of chicken stew loaded with vegetables is a perfect dish as we herald in spring.
Chef Michael Anthony of Gramercy Tavern in Manhattan prepared his signature recipe in the Good Day Cafe.
SPRING CHICKEN STEW INGREDIENTS:
3 Cups vegetable stock or water
1 Clove garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 Boneless chicken thighs, cubed1 Spring onion, large, minced finely
1 Clove garlic, minced finely
1 Cup milk
3 Cup vegetable stock, or water
12 Spears asparagus, trimmed into 1 inch pieces
4 Cup Peas, shucked
1 Head Baby lettuce
1 Tbsp chopped tarragon
¼ Lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Cup emmer
1. To cook emmer, cover it with vegetable stock, add the crushed clove of garlic and a pinch of salt. Heat at 220°F; simmer for 45 minutes, while stirring every 30 seconds
2. When emmer is tender, remove and reserve.
2. In a bowl, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil at 160°. Lightly brown the chicken pieces, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the onions and the garlic, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add milk, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Simmer while stirring for 15 minutes.
5. Add asparagus and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add peas, lettuce, tarragon and lemon juice. Cook for 3 minutes, and season to taste.
7. Spoon cooked emmer into a pasta bowl, and ladle chicken stew over the top.