Judge tosses 2000 murder conviction - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Judge tosses 2000 murder conviction

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York judge has thrown out the murder conviction of a man who's already served 13 years in prison.

Judge James Griffin ruled that the Queens district attorney's office withheld information from the defense that would have shown a crucial witness lied on the stand.

The district attorney's office said it planned to appeal.

Griffin said the defendant, Pedros Bedi, was deprived of due process. According to the New York Times, the judge said the information could have changed the outcome of the trial. He ordered a new trial.

Bedi had been convicted of murdering a man in a nightclub in 2000.

He remains in prison on unrelated drug and murder-conspiracy convictions.

The judge noted the defendant's "deplorable criminal history" but said it wasn't relevant in this case.

  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • Kayakers breach New York's JFK airport security

    Kayakers breach New York's JFK airport security

    Sunday, July 27 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-27 19:46:29 GMT
    The tower at John F. Kennedy International AirportThe tower at John F. Kennedy International Airport
    Two kayakers have been cited for trespassing after breaching a Kennedy Airport security perimeter.
    Two kayakers have been cited for trespassing after breaching a security perimeter at New York's Kennedy Airport.
  • NY man dies speeding on a straight road

    NY man dies speeding on a straight road

    Sunday, July 27 2014 2:29 PM EDT2014-07-27 18:29:19 GMT
    Police say a 24-year-old Queens man was killed in a fiery crash while speeding on a Long Island parkway.
    Police say a 24-year-old Queens man was killed in a fiery crash while speeding on a Long Island parkway.
  • G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:37 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:37:26 GMT
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
    The MTA says there will be no service between the Nassau Avenue station in Greenpoint and Court Square in Long Island City until Sept. 2.
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
    The MTA says there will be no service between the Nassau Avenue station in Greenpoint and Court Square in Long Island City until Sept. 2.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices