Murder-rape suspect removed monitoring bracelet - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Murder-rape suspect removed monitoring bracelet

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Federal authorities say a man charged with killing a woman and raping her 10-year-old daughter after a carjacking at a New York mall last week was able to remove and reassemble his court-ordered electronic monitoring bracelet in about a minute before carrying out the attacks.

A U.S. probation officer says 29-year-old David Renz managed to cut the device from his ankle and put it back together so quickly that it didn't prompt the company in Colorado that makes the monitors to notify court officers in Syracuse.

The official says the officers had told the company not to notify them when the ankle monitor's signal was interrupted for a short period of time because the officers were getting tampering alerts every time the devices were knocked against bathtubs or walls.

New York State police say the events started unfolding at about 9 p.m. last Thursday at the Great Northern Mall in Clay.

Police say the 47-year-old woman was leaving a gymnastics class with her 10-year-old daughter when Renz stopped them.

Troopers say Renz raped the girl in the family's vehicle and then drove the victims a short distance to Verplank Road in the Town of Clay.

The girl managed to escape the vehicle and was assisted by a passing motorist.

The man then stabbed the woman multiple times.  She was rushed to Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse where she died.

Renz, of Lakeshore Road in Cicero, is charged with murder, rape and kidnapping.

MyFoxNY.com has withheld the names of the victims to protect the family's identity.

 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Wedding reception at country club ends with brawl

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:37 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:37:23 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
    Police say they're investigating a large brawl that broke out at the end of a wedding reception held over the weekend at a suburban Buffalo country club. Officials tell local media that seven different police agencies were called in late Saturday to break up the fight at the Orchard Park Country Club. Officers say dozens of the approximately 200 guests were involved in the melee, which broke out after a member of the wedding party was tossed off the premises for inappropriate behavior.
  • Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Police: Man damages 2 golf courses after breakup

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:59 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:59:02 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
    Authorities say a 23-year-old western New York man caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage at two Buffalo-area golf courses after being dumped by his girlfriend.  Police in the suburban town of Orchard Park say Austin Christopher used his pickup truck to tear up the ninth green at Harvest Hill Golf Course early Saturday morning.
  • Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Enterovirus outbreak hits New York

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-09-16 10:26:36 GMT
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
    The New York Health Department has confirmed that a viral-based severe respiratory illness has sickened several children in the state. New York is the latest state to confirm cases of sickness caused by enterovirus EV-D68. More than a dozen children are sick, officials said. The CDC has said this unusually severe outbreak has caused serious breathing problems.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices