Justin Verlander agrees to five-year extension with Tigers - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Justin Verlander agrees to five-year extension with Tigers

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

The Detroit Tigers and pitcher Justin Verlander have agreed on a five-year contract extension, according to the team's Twitter account.

The new deal will keep him with the Tigers through 2019, with a vesting option for 2020.

Sources tell FOX Sports' Jon Morosi the extension will pay the former Cy Young Award winner and MVP as much as $180 million over the next seven years with a chance to make $202 million over the next eight seasons.

"I love this city & the fans - couldn't be more excited to spend my career here! We're going to bring a World Series to Detroit!!!" Verlander tweeted just before 1 p.m. Friday.

Morosi says the deal includes a no-trade clause and performance bonuses for MVP and Cy Young awards.

Verlander had been signed through the 2014 season, but told reporters earlier this week he wanted to table all extension talks during the season, which begins April 1 in Minnesota.

We'll have much more on this story tonight during FOX 2 News beginning at 5 p.m.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:46:07 GMT
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices