New Jersey's plans for storm grants approved - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Superstorm Sandy

New Jersey's plans for storm grants approved

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

Federal officials have given the go-ahead to New Jersey's plans to spend $1.8 billion in rebuilding grants.

Superstorm Sandy ravaged the Jersey Shore six months ago, but by the looks of things in Ortley Beach it seems like it has only been six days.

"I left the house with two suitcases; figured I'd be gone two, three days, maybe a week," Walter Johnson said. "Here we are six months later and I'm still homeless."

Johnson hopes to have a new house by Labor Day. He said tearing down his Ortley Beach home and building a new one is cheaper than fixing it up.

"I suffered about four feet of flooding," he said. "We were not allowed to come back to the properties for an entire month so the house was just riddled with mold."

Cleanup hasn't even started in some spots in Ortley Beach. One house is five blocks from where the nearest boardwalk was and a piece of that boardwalk ended up inside the house. We're told just to demolish a house is a lengthy process.

"It takes weeks and weeks and weeks, and without complaining everybody's swamped," John Van, a storm victim, said. "The people who come out to inspect the things you disconnected, they just don't have the time."

The time has finally come for some more federal funding. U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan and Gov. Chris Christie said more than $1.8 billion in grants is on the way to help people rebuild and elevate their homes.

"We're not here to take a victory lap because we know that we haven't achieved victory yet, anywhere near it," Christie said. "We're here to remind you once again we will not forget you."

This is the first round of disaster relief money to be allocated. Two more rounds of grants are expected later.

Sandy destroyed about 360,000 homes or apartment units in New Jersey, the AP reported.

CLICK FOR SANDY COVERAGE

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Revel closing, but property fight goes on

    Revel closing, but property fight goes on

    Thursday, August 28 2014 9:34 PM EDT2014-08-29 01:34:07 GMT
    A casino piano tuner in Atlantic City is fighting the state's attempt to seize his late parents' house as part of a redevelopment project connected to the closing Revel Hotel Casino. Charlie Birnbaum says the house in the shadow of the failed casino was his father's livelihood. He says he is attached to the home, even though his mother was killed there in 1998.
    A casino piano tuner in Atlantic City is fighting the state's attempt to seize his late parents' house as part of a redevelopment project connected to the closing Revel Hotel Casino. Charlie Birnbaum says the house in the shadow of the failed casino was his father's livelihood. He says he is attached to the home, even though his mother was killed there in 1998.
  • Missing NJ man found dead in Israeli forest

    Missing NJ man found dead in Israeli forest

    Thursday, August 28 2014 4:33 PM EDT2014-08-28 20:33:49 GMT
    The body of a missing New Jersey religious student who disappeared during a hike in a forest outside Jerusalem last week has been found. Aaron Sofer, 23, of Lakewood, N.J., had been missing since Friday, when he went on a hike with a friend in the Jerusalem Forest and the two became separated, said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
    The body of a missing New Jersey religious student who disappeared during a hike in a forest outside Jerusalem last week has been found. Aaron Sofer, 23, of Lakewood, N.J., had been missing since Friday, when he went on a hike with a friend in the Jerusalem Forest and the two became separated, said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.
  • Bergen County sheriff delays deployment of military vehicles

    Bergen County sheriff delays deployment of military vehicles

    Thursday, August 28 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-08-28 19:22:51 GMT
    A northern New Jersey sheriff has delayed deployment of armored vehicles that are being acquired through a federal military surplus program. In a statement, Bergen County Sheriff Michael Saudino announced Thursday he is taking the action after the U.S. attorney general and state attorney general decided to review the program in the wake of police response to civil unrest that followed a police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri.
    A northern New Jersey sheriff has delayed deployment of armored vehicles that are being acquired through a federal military surplus program. In a statement, Bergen County Sheriff Michael Saudino announced Thursday he is taking the action after the U.S. attorney general and state attorney general decided to review the program in the wake of police response to civil unrest that followed a police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices