A longtime eyesore in downtown Detroit will soon have a date with the wrecking ball.
According to detroitnews.com after a 10-year legal battle a permit has been issued to demolish the former Hotel Charlevoix. Crews could start knocking down the 11-story building at 2029 Park Avenue and Elizabeth Street as soon as Monday.
In a story for historicdetroit.org the Charlevoix was built in 1905 and designed by William S. Joy.
It was intended to be an office building. Instead, it was a hotel at first but only for about 10 years. It spent a short time as an apartment building before being turned into a commercial building for various companies and unions in 1922. It was owned by the Grinnell Realty Co. The hotel was never one of Detroit's glamorous spots, offering a cheaper alternative to the top hotels of Grand Circus Park: The Hotel Tuller and the Hotel Statler. The current owner, Ralph Sachs, has owned the building since 1981. The building closed in the mid-to-late 1980s and was quickly stripped of most everything that was worth something.
Left neglected for decades, the building has been the frequent target for squatters and urban explorers since that time. Last year falling bricks torn loose by a windstorm fell through the roof of a parked Chrysler 300, narrowly missing a child who had just gotten out of the car.
On Jan. 9, 2013, a judge ruled that Sachs had to demolish the building and a permit was issued on April 30.