Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment

Posted: Updated:
Rep. Brian Banks Rep. Brian Banks
  • Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassmentMore>>

Questions over some of state Rep. Brian Banks' actions

Thursday, May 16 2013 12:15 AM EDT2013-05-16 04:15:25 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks has been in Lansing for less than five months, but some of his actions are already raising questions about his judgment.

Cops want Banks charged for bad checks

Wednesday, April 3 2013 11:10 PM EDT2013-04-04 03:10:34 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks had to overcome some previous felony convictions to win his seat in Lansing.  He did his time for those crimes, but history may be repeating itself.

State Rep. Brian Banks' landlord says he is owed rent money

Monday, February 25 2013 7:39 PM EST2013-02-26 00:39:31 GMT
    After we revealed his many legal troubles, newly elected lawmaker Brian Banks said his past was his past, but for his landlord, who wants to evict him, the new Brian Banks looks a whole lot like the old Brian Banks.

State Representative-elect Brian Banks has a transportation problem

Monday, November 12 2012 10:45 PM EST2012-11-13 03:45:25 GMT
    Brian Banks is a man of convictions and evictions, and here's something else voters didn't know when they decided to send him to Lansing.  For his first trip, he may have to hitchhike.

A lawsuit Tramaine Cotton has filed versus Rep. Brian Banks and the State of Michigan alleges sexual harassment.

Click here to read the lawsuit. We must warn you, some of its content is explicit.

I revealed last week that Cotton is a party promoter Banks put on the state payroll as his legislative aide. Now Cotton has told me the job was a sham.

"He basically told me that I would be getting full-time pay and full-time benefits, but I'm part-time," Cotton said.

"His primary job responsibility was to transport Mr. Banks back and forth from Detroit to Lansing," said attorney Darryl Segars.

"Once he got the boss to the office, then what was there?" I asked.

"I would be on Facebook promoting my parties," Cotton said.

Unlike most legislative aides, Cotton said he didn't work on public policy matters or help John and Joan Q. Public with their problems.

"No constituents can say, you know, they spoke with me and I got something taken care of for them or anything of that nature. Like that wasn't my job," Cotton explained.

Cotton said that was okay with Banks.

"I got a raise. I hadn't even been there 90 days and I got a raise. So obviously I was doing, you know, the right thing," he remarked.

Cotton's pay increased to $29,150 last month, but he said that wasn't the only tab Banks stuck taxpayers with. Cotton said he drove Banks to work most of the time, but Banks pocketed the mileage.

"He would fill out his form and I would take it upstairs to the business center for him, but I never got, you know, money for none of that," Cotton said.

Cotton said he could deal with getting cheated out of gas money, but he soon got tired of Banks' unwanted sexual advances.

"When I first started working for him, it was overwhelming compliments. Oh, you look nice. Very nice suit. Nice haircut. Where you get your hair cut at? Nice smile," Cotton said.

Cotton and Segars allege that Banks regularly pressured Cotton to spend the night with him.

"After we left the fundraiser, we go to the hotel, and he's like, 'So, you're really going to stay?' And I'm like, 'I don't want to, but, I mean, if you're talking about I'm not doing my job because I'm not staying up here, I'll chill. I'll stay today,'" Cotton said.

In his lawsuit and in an exclusive interview, Cotton said he let Banks give him oral sex, but it was against his will.

"I needed that, you know, money every two weeks, so I couldn't just walk away from it. So that's the reason why that night I let him, you know, perform oral sex on him. Like, okay, well maybe after that, he got what he wanted, hopefully he would just leave me alone," Cotton said.

I tried to give Banks a copy of the lawsuit so he could respond to Cotton's allegations, but Banks just walked away.

House Speaker Jase Bolger and Democratic leader Tim Greimel also declined comment.

Segars said Banks lavished Cotton with expensive sneakers and cologne.

Cotton said he quit earlier this month because Banks continued to harass him.

"I said, 'I'm done with this. I can't do it no more. Like it's too much. As much as I want the money, like it's too much,'" Cotton said.

"There's really no level playing field here. Brian Banks had all the leverage," Segars said.

"It sounds like at some point Mr. Banks acted more like a jealous lover than a boss," I said.

"Not at some points, at most points," Segars said.

Still, Cotton said he thinks Banks was a fine lawmaker.

"He's a good guy when it comes to, you know, a good mind and the way he want the state to go and laws and things of that nature," Cotton said.

It's important to note that these are just allegations. Banks had not seen the lawsuit until I went to Lansing Tuesday afternoon, and like many defendants, he is choosing not to comment until he is served personally with the lawsuit. That may happen as soon as Wednesday.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Detroit Tigers Minor League Pitcher charged with sexual assault.

Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:46 AM EDT2014-07-30 15:46:42 GMT
    Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced Wednesday that former Detroit Tigers pitcher, Evan Reed, is charged with two counts of third degree criminal sexual conduct.

Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:43:20 GMT
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...

Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices