NJ school dance goes on with strapless-dress ban - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

NJ school dance goes on with strapless-dress ban

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

Fox 5 did not notice any strapless dresses watching students arrive Friday night at a dance for Readington Middle School in New Jersey.

That is exactly what the principal wanted. Her strapless ban for the eighth grade dance made national news.

The decision still draws mixed reactions from parents and students. The principal sparked a firestorm earlier this spring when she announced a ban on strapless dresses at this year's dance. Parents told Fox 5 that she said the dresses were distracting for boys.

The school board upheld the ban to reduce the risk of "wardrobe malfunctions," saying the girls must wear at least one strap.

One mom told us the ban is sexist. She said she didn't notice one strapless dress. But other moms welcomed that and praised the principal.

Two parents against the ban actually sued, but earlier this week a judge sided with the principal. Fox 5 did reach out to the school today for comment but did not hear back.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices