Detroiters in LaSalle Gardens want eyesore home torn down - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Detroiters in LaSalle Gardens want eyesore home torn down

Posted: Updated:
Abandoned home in Detroit's LaSalle Gardens Abandoned home in Detroit's LaSalle Gardens
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson loves the home that he bought in Detroit's historic LaSalle Gardens on West Euclid near the Davison and Linwood. He and his family moved from Miami, Florida and have lived there since January.

His problem is the vacant house next door. Johnson has no idea who owns the eyesore. Neighbors say no one has lived there for three years.

"What worries me is the children. You see all the kids playing here, and we have a basketball court out back, and I just don't want any of the kids to get hurt," he said.

Other neighbors in LaSalle Gardens agree with Johnson and his family. They want the haunted house gone.

"It's a problem and it's an eyesore for the neighborhood, and a lot of these people over here are using these abandoned houses for different things," said Reno Robinson. "It's time to clear it up and get it out of here."

In fact, Johnson said he is willing to buy the house next door just to get rid of it.

"I'll buy any lot they want to sell me, and I'll improve it. I want to make that a park," he said.

However, when he inquired with the city about who owns the house, he got nowhere.

"It comes under an LLC, which is some sort of corporation in the State of Michigan, and no one can track them down," Johnson said.

Previously, his wife, Shoshanah, worked as a special assistant to the mayor of Baltimore. They believe they know how city hall works, so the couple wrote a letter to Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr to advise Orr of the scary building next door.

Orr's office told Fox 2 they will find out who owns the property.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Man claims he was beaten by discount store clerk

Sunday, August 31 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:56:19 GMT
    "He put his hand on me and slammed me into the racks, put me in a (mixed martial arts) arm bar, then put me in a choke hold," Lacey Wheeler said.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices