Twelve-year-old Edwin Perez said he was watching TV around seven this morning when he went to the kitchen to get his younger brother some milk, looked out a window, and saw a couch burning on their porch.
"I woke up my cousins, and my sister. She didn't want to wake up. So I just grabbed her from the bed. I just grabbed her really hard and said, "Wake Up!" and she woke up," said Edwin.
The boy helped alert more than 50 people about the fire, which quickly spread to four homes. Fire officials don't know what caused it, but said that on a windier day, it could have been much worse. "The biggest challenge that we have with this type of structure is that these are all stick built, frame, very close together, built a long time ago," said Asst. Deputy Fire Commissioner Mark Neilsen.
"At one point firemen had to evacuate one building, due to conditions getting really bad very fast," fire official Larry Langford stated.
Edwin Perez will be a seventh grader this Fall. He said he learned in school that you should scream as loud as you can when there's a fire. "I was screaming too, I was screaming, "People wake up! There's a fire in here," and they all came out," Edwin said
Fire officials said that thanks to Edwin's quick reactions, nobody was hurt. "This young man should be commended. To get people out of the structure, out of his own building, and then neighbors, that's an amazing young man, twelve years old, he should be commended and praised," said Mark Neilsen.