Post-storm rail upgrades in NJ to be studied - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Superstorm Sandy

Post-storm rail upgrades in NJ to be studied

Posted: Updated:

ANGELA DELLI SANTI | AP

SECAUCUS, N.J. (AP) --The U.S. Energy Department has agreed to invest $1 million to look into improving New Jersey Transit's train system grid, as questions continued over the decision to store more than 300 locomotives and rail cars in low-lying yards before Superstorm Sandy, which resulted in more than $100 million in flood losses.

The grant announced at the train station in Secaucus on Monday is the first step toward building a new microgrid to power trains during major outages. No timetable or pricetag were given. The federal and state governments are partnering with Sandia National Laboratories, a microgrid designer for the military, on a conceptual design.

It would be the first application of the technology outside the military, Gov. Chris Christie said, and it would supply highly reliable power when regular power sources fail.

Christie said the partnership would lead to "a revolutionary technology that will keep our people and our economy on the move for decades to come."

Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz, who joined Christie and transit officials for the announcement, said fortifying critical infrastructure after Superstorm Sandy is part of the Obama administration's commitment to prepare for the inevitable effects of global climate change.

"We are past the point of debating whether policy responses are needed," Moniz said, noting that the Northeast is already seeing more intense storms, rising sea levels and higher temperatures.

Christie has refused to acknowledge any role climate change may have played in last October's mega-storm, which knocked out power to more than 5 million users, severely flooded the Hoboken rail station and caused $120 million in damage to the cars that were kept in low-lying storage yards.

The governor said Monday that his administration would review pre-hurricane decisions made by various departments and agencies including NJ Transit, but that "getting people back in their homes" was a higher priority.

Christie said the storm presented an opportunity to learn do things better in the future.

NJ Transit had a 3 1/2-page hurricane plan to move its trains to higher ground before Superstorm Sandy hit, The Record newspaper found, but the agency instead moved locomotives and rail cars to low-lying rail yards.

The newspaper had to file a lawsuit to get the transit agency to release a copy of the plan, prepared four months before Sandy. In response to the initial request, NJ Transit released a copy of the plan that was completely blacked out except for the title.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices