Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities

Posted: Updated:

Sidney Snow's journey hasn't been easy but as FOX 29's Karen Hepp shows you in the face of adversity Sidney makes others smile.

Sidney Snow barely survived her birth, a delivery so traumatic it deserves the term devastating.

For the bright and loving little girl there would be consequences. First came a diagnosis of cerebral palsy. Later, hearing loss both profound and progressive. Challenges her Mom Ali Snow knew would set her daughter apart for a lifetime.

"My biggest prayer was let her be able to read because I don't care if she's in a wheel chair, but if that child can read. She can do a world of things," Ali said.

Seems the Good Lord was listening. Now 15, Sidney Snow is an insatiable reader who found in the flow of words and ideas insulation from the hardships headed her way.

"You just take on a different perspective and that can help you take on life a different way," Sidney said.

From that perspective has come resilience - toughness in the face of cruelty. The constant muscle contractions associated with cerebral palsy altered Sidney's movement.

The hearing loss affects her speech. Over the years, neither has gone unnoticed by classmates.

"I know I am not any of those things that they are saying about me. I just try to be the bigger person," Sidney said.

Not just in words, but deeds. Within her high school Sidney seeks out those whose shoes she's walked in - kids with disabilities even greater than her own.

"I just walk in there and I might have had a bad morning and I see the smiles on their faces and it's just wow everything is just so superficial right now there's so much more in life," Sidney said.

"I look at those kids and they have much less than I do and I look at myself and go wow I am so blessed I can walk I can talk and I can express my feelings to others," Sidney said.

Her Mom calls it compassion born of suffering that quietly continues nearly halfway through her sophomore year. You see, when Sidney goes to class, this is what she hears.

"It's like Charlie Brown talk wah-wah -wah and every now and then you hear something that you might understand," Sidney said.

Sidney is forced to compensate by reading lips - an imperfect and utterly exhausting process.

"I come home with headaches, migraine headaches," Sidney said. "I've never been one for curing cerebral palsy or deafness because that's made me who I am so I don't want to get rid of it."

Despite it all, Sidney Snow makes mostly A's and she takes pleasure in the companionship of a Horse named Tommy - a rare teen whose drawn power from what most perceive as weakness.

Comfortable in her own skin, secure in her faith. Call it strength. Sidney's strength.

• Spotlight StoriesMore>>

VIDEO: Dad and Daughter Peek-A-Boo Goes Wrong

Monday, September 15 2014 8:42 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:42:01 GMT
    Every little kid loves a good game of Peek-A-Boo, but one game went terribly wrong when a dad pulled a fast one with a new look.The first few times he lifted the towel over his head to say ‘peekaboo', she found it pretty funny

Couple Creates Art Inspired By Umbilical Cords

Monday, September 15 2014 8:38 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:38:08 GMT
    A couple in Utah sells an unusual kind of art to customers around the world, and the pieces are inspired by umbilical cords.The concept combines creativity and medical expertise to produce a unique style.

Caught Red Handed: Mom Catches Adorable Daughter Stealing Lipstick

Monday, September 15 2014 7:58 PM EDT2014-09-15 23:58:05 GMT
    If you're a parent, you want to believe that your kids are honest about everything. So, how can you tell when your child is lying?Sometimes, it's just written all over their face! Take a look at one little girl who enjoys lipstick.
  • Local NewsMore>>

Police: Woman Stole Thousands From Cheer Association

Monday, September 15 2014 11:05 PM EDT2014-09-16 03:05:37 GMT
    A woman is accused of stealing thousands of dollars from a youth cheerleader association and police say she staged another crime to cover her tracks.

Gay Couple Speaks After Center City Attack

Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:04 GMT
    Investigators say a gay couple was walking in Center City when they were stopped by a group of people and brutally beaten on the corner of 16th and Chancellor. Both of the victims are now recovering from nasty injuries. On Monday, the victims broke their silence in hopes that the group will be caught by police.

Police: 13-Year-Old Shot By Teen In Hunting Park

Monday, September 15 2014 9:45 PM EDT2014-09-16 01:45:14 GMT
    Police say a 13-year-old was shot in the city's Hunting Park section by Old York Road and Erie Ave on Monday night.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices