Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities

Posted: Updated:

Sidney Snow's journey hasn't been easy but as FOX 29's Karen Hepp shows you in the face of adversity Sidney makes others smile.

Sidney Snow barely survived her birth, a delivery so traumatic it deserves the term devastating.

For the bright and loving little girl there would be consequences. First came a diagnosis of cerebral palsy. Later, hearing loss both profound and progressive. Challenges her Mom Ali Snow knew would set her daughter apart for a lifetime.

"My biggest prayer was let her be able to read because I don't care if she's in a wheel chair, but if that child can read. She can do a world of things," Ali said.

Seems the Good Lord was listening. Now 15, Sidney Snow is an insatiable reader who found in the flow of words and ideas insulation from the hardships headed her way.

"You just take on a different perspective and that can help you take on life a different way," Sidney said.

From that perspective has come resilience - toughness in the face of cruelty. The constant muscle contractions associated with cerebral palsy altered Sidney's movement.

The hearing loss affects her speech. Over the years, neither has gone unnoticed by classmates.

"I know I am not any of those things that they are saying about me. I just try to be the bigger person," Sidney said.

Not just in words, but deeds. Within her high school Sidney seeks out those whose shoes she's walked in - kids with disabilities even greater than her own.

"I just walk in there and I might have had a bad morning and I see the smiles on their faces and it's just wow everything is just so superficial right now there's so much more in life," Sidney said.

"I look at those kids and they have much less than I do and I look at myself and go wow I am so blessed I can walk I can talk and I can express my feelings to others," Sidney said.

Her Mom calls it compassion born of suffering that quietly continues nearly halfway through her sophomore year. You see, when Sidney goes to class, this is what she hears.

"It's like Charlie Brown talk wah-wah -wah and every now and then you hear something that you might understand," Sidney said.

Sidney is forced to compensate by reading lips - an imperfect and utterly exhausting process.

"I come home with headaches, migraine headaches," Sidney said. "I've never been one for curing cerebral palsy or deafness because that's made me who I am so I don't want to get rid of it."

Despite it all, Sidney Snow makes mostly A's and she takes pleasure in the companionship of a Horse named Tommy - a rare teen whose drawn power from what most perceive as weakness.

Comfortable in her own skin, secure in her faith. Call it strength. Sidney's strength.

• Spotlight StoriesMore>>

• Teen Receives Master’s In Cake Decorating

Teen Receives Master's In Cake Decorating

Teen Receives Master's In Cake Decorating

Sunday, April 20 2014 5:44 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:44:59 GMT
    Most teenagers have busy lives, but one teen is focusing onbecoming a baking phenomenon..It all started for 13-year-old Ameena Sohailwhen her mother, Atiya, signed the two up for cake classes together. The bonding quickly became a passion.In just a few months, she was on her way to the Wilton School in Chicago where she became the youngest person to ever get her master’s degree in cake decorating there.She makes cakes for various occasions, like weddings, baby showers, and birthdays.The teen ...

Blind and Deaf Puppies Looking For Forever Homes

Blind and Deaf Puppies Looking For Forever Homes

Sunday, April 20 2014 4:48 PM EDT2014-04-20 20:48:06 GMT
    Meet Mulligan, Christy, Bingo and Finnegan, four adorable Beagle and Dachshund mix puppies, who are looking for forever homes.

MURDER CHARGES: St. Paul man 'just snapped' and shot girlfriend

Sunday, April 20 2014 2:56 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:56:27 GMT
    Murder charges filed against a St. Paul man detail a family's struggle to get mental health treatment for their daughter's unstable boyfriend, and the custody struggle that led to a deadly shooting.
    Murder charges filed Friday against a St. Paul man detail a family's struggle to get mental health treatment for their daughter's unstable boyfriend, and the child custody struggle that led to a deadly shooting.
  • Local NewsMore>>

Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman

Kraft Foods Group Recalls 96,000 Pounds Of Hot Dogs

Sunday, April 20 2014 7:20 PM EDT2014-04-20 23:20:55 GMT
    Kraft Foods Group, Inc. has issued a recall for approximately 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer Classic Wieners.

Four Injured In Car Crash On I-295

Four Injured In Car Crash On I-295

Sunday, April 20 2014 6:18 PM EDT2014-04-20 22:18:55 GMT
    Four people were taken to the hospital on Sunday afternoon after a two car collision on the southbound lanes of I-295 in West Deptford.Police say the driver of a Nissan and another vehicle with 3 passengers collided. Their vehicles ended up stopped on the left lane of I-295. All four victims were taken to local hospitals with minor injuries.The far left lane of I-295 southbound was blocked as crews cleared the scene.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices