Korean War Vet Waits For Honorable Medals - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Korean War Vet Waits For Honorable Medals

Posted: Updated:

The Korean War is often seen as the "the forgotten war" and for one man who served in it you can say he was forgotten.

It took 84-year-old Sonny Faoro 61 years before he finally got the medals for his service in the war. He talks about the war and receiving the honor with FOX's Erika Cervantes.

"It brings back a lot of memories. I think of the guys I was stationed with in the Army and I think it was my duty to serve," Faoro says.

He says he remembers being drafted into the army in 1951 like it was yesterday.

"I was proud to be an American, to serve the country, if they need me I would have gone right back in as soon as I got out," Faoro said.

He recorded his experiences with his camera and captured images of that forgotten time that few Americans have ever seen.

"This is me shaving with the water in my helmet," Faoro said.

In his photo albums there are snapshots of life during war and times with army buddies. The 84-year old even saved perfectly preserved mementos from some of his pictures.

"This is a mug that I used at a party that my company shot down more aircraft than the other companies in the battalion, so they gave us a party and this is the mug that I used to drink my beer," Faoro said.

But, something Faoro was never able to add to his uniform was his medals.

"I had never thought about it. I had other things on my mind until now that I'm retired I started thinking about the past and I figured I should get them," Faoro said

So...Faoro applied for the medals and a year later two medals honoring his service arrived.

"This is something that I deserved. This tells me where I've been and part of my life," Faoro said.

Faoro says he is still waiting for another medal.

• Spotlight StoriesMore>>

Wendy's Employee Gets Smacked On Camera

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:45 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:45:47 GMT
    A woman in Texas working at a fast food restaurant gets an unexpected "slap" in the face.It's part of the "smack" game, and the whole thing was recorded.

Teacher Accused Of Taking Bible Away From Student

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:27 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:27:21 GMT
    Texas- Mixed reactions in Texas after a teacher reportedly took a Bible away from a student during "Read to Myself Time."

Special Needs Boy Faces Felony Charges

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:20:16 GMT
     It’s a story that has gotten national attention. An 8-year-old with 'special needs' was detained by police in Michigan.
  • Local NewsMore>>

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:31 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:31:43 GMT
    Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.

DUI Driver Will Not Be Charged In Teen's Death

Thursday, April 24 2014 12:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 04:24:27 GMT
    Cops say a driver accused of hitting and killing a Bucks County teen and injuring another while driving under the influence of prescription drugs and cocaine will not be charged.

Forest Fire Burning In Cumberland County

Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:17 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:17:05 GMT
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.
    Skyfox was over the scene near Ackley Road in Downe Township Wednesday night.
Powered by WorldNow

WTXF-TV
330 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2796

Phone: (215) 925-2929
Fax: (215) 982-5494

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices