A hospital says edible marijuana has contributed to an increasing number of canine medical emergencies.
VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital says since January 1 the number of dogs coming in for cannabis-related medical emergencies continue to escalate every week.
The Denver, Colorado hospital has documented a year-long study that tracked marijuana exposure in dogs. Hundreds of dogs have been getting into their owner's supply of marijuana, specifically edibles.
Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald contributed to the findings. He says some symptoms of over exposure range from disorientation to seizures and temporary comas.
"What we are seeing is dog getting into the baked products. The butter gets a higher concentration of THC, the active ingredient," Fitzgerald said.
Research revealed some those symptoms don't last just hours, they last days.
"The one thing we see with almost all of them is urinary incontinence when they eat a bunch of it," Fitzgerald said.
Dogs like Gizmo have a very limited time-span of recovery if they are over exposed to the drug.
"Half-life for a dog is 72 hours, maybe 96, before it gets out of their system," Fitzgerald said.
Edibles contain a serving size meant only for human consumption.
The doctor suggests pet owners keep marijuana out of their pet's reach.
You may think you've got your dog trained. But when was the last time you got a helping – mouth – carrying in the groceries?
WTXF-TV330 Market StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19106-2796Phone: (215) 925-2929Fax: (215) 982-5494